Do you wish to stay like royalties, well here is the Royal Retreat of the Maharaja of Orchha for you!
Bundelkhand Riverside Resort is a Heritage hotel in Orchha, Madhya Pradesh. History says that base of Bundelas shifted from Orchha to Tikamgarh due to some situations, so the royal family has their base there now. Most noteworthy this resort is one of their properties built some years back.
About the Resort
The Bundelkhand Riverside resort is a 50 Acres property on the banks of the River Betwa in Orchha. You can still find some traces of the old buildings which were used as a Hunting Lodge cum Guest House by the royal family of Orchha.
- It consists of around 40 rooms in total, including the cottages.
- Some of the rooms are river facing and have a small verandah from where you can enjoy the view.
- Also, they have a beautiful terrace which offers a splendid view of the surroundings and the Betwa River. I was suggested to watch the sunrise and yes it was beautiful from there.
- The rooms are high and huge with all the basic amenities, also a small cosy fireplace for winters. Even the bathrooms are huge here 😛
- They have old style royal touch furniture depicting the heritage.
- Though the place is newly created the feel is of an old palace, which shows in its architecture and ambience. Having said that they offer all the modern facilities possible.
- They have a beautiful seating area/lounge with awesome paintings and some pictures of the royal family. I absolutely loved the lobbies here.
- And the dining area seemed like from a royal palace.
- They have a swimming pool, conference room along with huge garden area which can be used for wedding or other small or big functions.
- They do offer special packages for such celebrations. When I visited they were preparing for a wedding ceremony a day after.
My Cherished moments
I was told that the current Maharaja was staying at the resort for a day, but I could not meet him 🙁
The location is what I love about the resort, on the river bank, at night you can listen to the light music of the waves 🙂 This adds to the aura of the property. You can walk up to the river early morning or late evenings and enjoy the view.
Another thing I loved was, I know there are too many things I love about the place. They have local singers performing every evening at the garden area, this will surely get you near the culture of Bundelkhand.
Last but not the least, there is an old man on the main gate who welcomes you with a handmade bouque and an absolute heart-melting smile. Such hospitality 🙂
Here are some clicks of the property for you to enjoy:
Bundelkhand Riverside Resort, Orchha,
Madhya Pradesh – 472246, India
Check out the other posts from Orchha adventures:
- Orchha – The Fort Capital in Madhya Pradesh
- Orchha Fort, Madhya Pradesh- Forts of India
- A step towards nature in Orchha, Madhya Pradesh
- Raja Ram Temple, Orchha
I thoroughly enjoyed the property and hospitality of Bundelkhand Riverside Resort. Loved my stay here…Go Banjare! 🙂