`You must have visited various museums around the world. But here is a weird Museum situated in the city of New Delhi, Toilet Museum. Yes, you heard it right! It’s rare to have a museum to describe the evolution of Toilets and their various designs.
The founder, Dr Bindeshwar Pathak of Sulabh International Museum of Toilets envisioned this place to bring awareness about one of the basic stuff, Toilets.
The Toilet is a part of the history of human hygiene and constitutes a critical chapter in the history of human civilization – Dr Bindeshwar Pathak
He contacted and engaged various country embassies to furnish information about the toilets. Hence the toilet museum is a result of the same. This place ranks in one of the “Weirdest Museums in the world”
Address: Sulabh International Museum of Toilets, Sulabh Gram, RZ-83 Mahavir Enclave, Palam Dabri Road
Timings: 8 AM to 8 PM; Sunday & Holiday- 10 AM to 5 PM
Entry Fee: Free
Objective of Toilet Museum
- educate students about historical trends and development of toilets
- provide information to researchers
- make manufacturers understand and improve the products
- help policy makers to understand the efforts of predecessors through out the world
- sanitation experts to learn from the past and try to solve the issues
What to expect from Toilet Museum?
- The museum describes through various pictures the sanitation at various stages all across the world. There are various sections for “Sanitation in Ancient India” starting from the Mohenjodaro time.
- Various illustrations of toilet related social customs, toilet etiquettes etc.
- The evolution of types and variety of toilets from various parts of the world.
- A collection of stories, poems etc based on the theme. Like a Toilet theme restaurant in Taiwan, where they serve everything in toilet shaped accessories.
- Some Therapies to hold onto natures call in case nothing available
- Various projects that Sulabh is working on in this field.
- All the awards and recognitions for the work in this field.
Here are few descriptive pictures from the Toilet Museum:
It seems to be a weird place to visit. But would suggest to check out this place for interesting facts about Toilet. Go Banjare 🙂
If you like the Travel Stories and Adventures here, share the same with your friends on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Feel like visiting asap
Oh its a nice place, you should…